Thursday 12 May 2011

butterflies and Opera's

Ok so I know that I have been a little naughty and not written a blog in a while… I have a god excuse honest!!
I had my interview for the scenic construction course at RADA! I arrived for the interview and there were 2 other people interviewing that day as well so sat down and started chatting to break the ice I think that everyone was feeling a little nervous – I know I was! We were then given a tour by the 1 students that was on the course this year! (Yup that right they only took  1 person on last year  nerve factors hit max at this point!) . Spaces are really nice and a fantastic large work shop area, with it nearing the end of term there were not too many students about but the school was still very busy with auditions and interviews.
If anyone is intimidated about applying to RADA because they think that they will be really pretentious and snobby toward them  - don’t be!  Everyone is really friendly students and staff alike would just walk past and say hello and you could ask them anything about the school and they would happily talk you through it. The community seemed to be very close as well. As we were being shown around the current student was always saying hello to people and arranging what she was doing for her lunch break!  I was really good to see after there was the worry that is I am accepted would I have any friends as the class sizes are so small!
We were asked to fill out a short questionnaire which was in although I soon found I was running out of space to write my answers – may have went into a little too much detail, but what do they expect when they ask you what your favourite set is and why!
I was the last one to be interviewed as the other candidates  needed to catch trains  and I was in no rush – after all Miss G who I was meeting did not finish work until pm! Being the last one is was fine until you are left on your own – at this point I was feeling  the butterfly’s so I tried to take my mind off of it by walking around and I found what really worked for me was to look out of the window and after naming everything I could see in my head I let my mind wander into incessant rambling such; “as I wander who works there … imagine what this place would have been like in the 30’s… that would have been cool” etc  complete nonsense of course but in the safe confines of my head at least It stopped me thinking about whether I am good enough!
I was then called in and every one was surprisingly relaxed and friendly but as soon as the first question came my mind melted... I rambled a what may have been a sentence (although I am not sure!) I know that I was in panic mode and something needed to be done and I just blurted out how nervous I was and asked if I could a glass of water!  This seemed to give me the few seconds needed to just calm down and start again – after that I felt fine and more relaxed.
Once I had finished the interview I thanked the panel for their time and left.  (Always remember you manners kids – please and thank you do not cost anything!).It is always hard to gauge how well you have done in an interview but I left feeling ok.
I was about 3.45 and Miss G did not finish work until 6pm so I tootled around and made my way to Covent garden and found a coffee shop with outside seating so I could read my book in the sun – I felt very continental indeed.
Miss G works at the Royal opera house and she gave a  tour around the building before we went off for some dinner. The building ins fantastic! There is obviously the show pieces that is the glass atrium which incorporates the Paul Hamlyn Hall – and what a show piece indeed and absolutely glorious piece of architecture which opens the whole building flooding with light during the day and is no doubt tastefully lit in the evening!
 There are 3 dining areas available and possible the most luxurious is the Crush. Located in the original are of the building  - we only looked in through the door (as not to disturb the diners!) and it is a sumptuous room that  throws you back to the hey day of evening dress and cloaks.
I was also shown the backstage viewing area and was able to see some of the set piece for the next shows. I believe that there is a revolving stage so two set can be set up at one time which enables the ROH to host a ballet in the afternoon and an opera in the evening.  I was amazing walking through the corridors and hearing the signers rehearse and needless to say I am very envious of Miss G and her working environment!
Then At 8.30 I had to say my good byes and jump on a train home to Nottingham exhausted. I find out if I have been accepted in approximately 2 weeks …so fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment