Wednesday 9 March 2011

Into the woods via Veronica's room


Sunday was the first meeting for the into the woods  crew. It was really good to see some old faces and meet some new ones. Everyone seems to know their job inside out which is great it means that the production should run smoothly (I say that now!) .
Into the woods is a play by Stephen Sondheim (of Sweeney Todd fame) and James Lapine. In the play we meet a baker and his wife who are desperate for a child. A witch promises to grant them their wish if they can find her a cow as white as milk, the cape as red as blood, the hair as yellow as corn, and the slipper as pure as gold. You would think that with neighbours  called Cinderella, little red riding hood, Jack and Rapunzel  it would be easy… think again!
After the initial meet and greet we started to brainstorm a little about the play and our experiences of fairy tales, fears and fun from our childhoods. I think that gave us more insight into each other than anything.
We then had a tour around the theatre and auditorium. This production will be showing at the lake side theatre which is new territory for me and it is a complete contrast to the types of theatre I have worked in before. The lakeside looks very much like many modern theatres the seating is place so the audience looks down onto the actors as opposed to up towards (as seen in my AMAZINGLY fantastic diagram)


 And instead of wooden ‘boards’ the lake side has a permanent dance floor covering, which is a matt black vinyl material that allows a smooth surface but is not slippery.  With this type of floor come restrictions, nothing can be glues/screwed or fixed onto the floor that would make a hole in it or permanently damage it,  I think that a cunning use of rostra's and French bracing will be needed! I am interested in see what the designer comes up with.
I am very excited about this production and nervous as well! It is still really early for me to be able to do anything at the moment as i  cannot really get going until the designer shows me her plans but it does not make me any less nervous!
I was back to familiar ground on Tuesday when I had a meeting with the director of Veronica's room at the lace Market Theatre.  
I absolutely love this play I think It is gripping, sinister and just out right thrilling! This will be in the studio of the LMT so it will be a small intimate performance with the  audience. My role on this one is properties (or props) and it is a cracking list I can tell you!  As the name suggest it is set …in a room… which mean furniture, beds, bookcase easels, puzzles, pictures, wardrobes, bric a brac, bedding  and all in the round (where the audience sits on all 4 sides of the performance)!
This one is going to be all about the sight lines, sight lines, sight lines!  As well as actually getting to make a few props not just scrabbling around the dusty cupboards for them.
With the rehearsal schedule placed firmly in my diary  for both productions as well as blocking in time for interview prep and portfolio work, I happily shoo away my weekends and evenings with a beaming smile and excitement in my eye , with every appointment and meeting date my fee time  looks bitterly over its shoulder and sneers …. “You’ll miss us, just you wait”... and as I close my diary with a defiant  click I think “free time is for the weak!”

Veronica’s room is on at the lace market theatre between  25th - 28th May 2011 Ticket info here
Into the woods is on at the lakeside theatre between 06th July – 09th July 2011 Ticket info here:

1 comment:

  1. Curse you! Now I Into the Woods songs firmly lodged in me brain. 'a cow as white as milk, the cape as red as blood, the hair as yellow as corn, and the slipper as pure as gold' lalalala

    ReplyDelete